VirtNet does not install on Windows 10 version 1809 x64

Home Forums Discussions Support VirtNet does not install on Windows 10 version 1809 x64

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 35 total)
  • Author
    rofl
    Participant

The following messages are displayed:

The following hardware was not installed: Unknown
      An error occured during the installation of the device
      There is no driver selected for the device information set or element

Vadim Smirnov
      Keymaster

Thank you for the information. I suspect this is related to the driver signing policy in 1809 update. I will check, probably needed to sign the driver with EV certificate.

rhodgerss
        Participant

I’m having this problem too. I need the Virtnet but can’t install this device. Is there any timeframe for this problem be solved?

Vadim Smirnov
          Keymaster

I’ve installed and tested 1809 during the weekend and I confirm that the problem exists. Probably it is related to driver signing policy changes or another possibility is legacy NDIS versions support (for compatibility across all Windows versions VirtNet followed NDIS 3.0 specification). But no worries, I’ll prepare the new build when have some spare time over the next week.

stefat
            Participant

Hey Guys!
              The same issue happend with me.

Iā€™m looking forward for the new build.
              Thanks in advance!

Vadim Smirnov
              Keymaster

Small update:

Signing VirtNet driver with EV certificate did not help, installation fails with the same error. So it looks that the problem is not related to driver signing and there is another reason for this. Right now it is difficult to say what has changed in 1809, may be Microsoft by chance or by purpose has dropped the support of the legacy versions of NDIS. I hope NDIS 6.0 version of VirtNet may help here…

rofl
                Participant

note: If VirtNet was installed prior to upgrading to 1809, then the driver keeps working after the upgrade.

Beltran
                  Participant

Please I need support. I have the latest update win10, I can not install virtnet. SOS. Appreciate your support since I can not downgrade mh win10.

stefat
                    Participant

Yes, there is a new NDIS version in this Win10 build:
                      https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/drivers/network/overview-of-ndis-versions

NDIS 6.81: Windows 10, version 1803
                      NDIS 6.82: Windows 10, version 1809

Following their links i’ve found this:
                      https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/drivers/develop/building-a-driver

Is it possible to convert the Virtnet driver to a Win10 compatible driver with those fancy Visual Studio debugging commands?

Sorry for the (probably) stupid question.

Beltran
                      Participant

Can someone else build the driver and let me know?
                        I really appreciate.
                        Regards,
                        B

Beltran
                        Participant

still awaiting???

stefat
                          Participant

Hey guys again!

https://www.howtogeek.com/235474/how-to-roll-back-builds-and-uninstall-updates-on-windows-10/

Here is a good topic to downgrade your Win10 to and earlier build.

I dont rly know exactly which update you have to remove to make Virtnet adapter installable again, but it defeneatly worth a try.
                            If you find out pls share it with us.
                            Thanks in advance! šŸ™‚

Still looking forward for the update in the driver.

Vadim Smirnov! All our hope is in you! šŸ™‚

Vadim Smirnov
                            Keymaster

I have devoted some time over the weekend to this issue, but I still don’t have a good idea what was changed by an update and how to fix this. It is definitely not about driver signing because that phase is passed fine. And setupapi.dev.log does not contain any helpful information:

>>>  [Device Install (DiInstallDevice) - ROOT\NET\0000]
                              >>>  Section start 2019/02/04 11:53:39.838
                                    cmd: "C:\Windows\system32\mmc.exe" C:\Windows\system32\devmgmt.msc
                                   ndv: Flags: 0x00000004
                                   dvi: {Plug and Play Service: Device Install for ROOT\NET\0000}
                              !    dvi:      Installing NULL driver!
                                   dvi:      {DIF_ALLOW_INSTALL} 11:53:39.858
                                   dvi:           Default installer: Enter 11:53:39.858
                                   dvi:           Default installer: Exit
                                   dvi:      {DIF_ALLOW_INSTALL - exit(0xe000020e)} 11:53:39.862
                                   dvi:      {DIF_REGISTER_COINSTALLERS} 11:53:39.862
                                   dvi:           Default installer: Enter 11:53:39.862
                                   dvi:      {DIF_REGISTER_COINSTALLERS - exit(0x00000000)} 11:53:39.866
                                   dvi:      {DIF_INSTALLDEVICE} 11:53:39.866
                                   dvi:           Default installer: Enter 11:53:39.866
                              !    dvi:                Installing NULL driver!
                                   dvi:                Install Null Driver: Removing device sub-tree. 11:53:39.870
                                   dvi:                Install Null Driver: Removing device sub-tree completed. 11:53:39.874
                                   dvi:                Install Null Driver: Restarting device. 11:53:39.878
                                   dvi:                Install Null Driver: Restarting device completed. 11:53:39.882
                                   dvi:                Install Device: Configuring device class. 11:53:39.882
                                   dvi:                Install Device: Configuring device class completed. 11:53:39.882
                                   dvi:                Device Status: 0x01802401, Problem: 0x1c (0x00000000)
                                   dvi:                Install Device: Starting device 'ROOT\NET\0000'. 11:53:39.886
                                   dvi:                Install Device: Starting device completed. 11:53:39.894
                                   dvi:      {DIF_INSTALLDEVICE - exit(0x00000000)} 11:53:39.898
                                   ump: {Plug and Play Service: Device Install exit(00000000)}
                              <<<  Section end 2019/02/04 11:53:39.910
                              <<<  [Exit status: SUCCESS]

>>>  [Delete Device - ROOT\NET\0000]
                              >>>  Section start 2019/02/04 11:59:51.125
                                    cmd: "C:\Windows\system32\mmc.exe" C:\Windows\system32\devmgmt.msc
                                   dvi: Query-and-Remove succeeded
                              <<<  Section end 2019/02/04 11:59:51.133
                              <<<  [Exit status: SUCCESS]

Mentioned Problem: 0x1c is CM_PROB_FAILED_INSTALL for which I could find anything helpful besides https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/drivers/install/cm-prob-failed-install

The only solution I can see so far would be creating a new NDIS 6 virtual network adapter driver…

Vadim Smirnov
                              Keymaster

I’ve created a quick NDIS 6.0 replacement for the original VirtNet driver. You can download it from here. Let me know how it worked for you…

rhodgerss
                                Participant

This version install ok, but don’t have the function network address.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 35 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.