PostUp and PostDown

Home Forums Discussions Support PostUp and PostDown

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    IXSoul
    Participant

Is there a way of using PostUp and PostDown entries for WireSock in the WireSockUI?

Vadim Smirnov
      Keymaster

Currently, that option is not available. However, I’m interested in understanding your perspective. Could you please share why you believe this feature would be beneficial?

IXSoul
        Participant

The ability to use powershell scripts on connecting and disconnecting from the VPN would be beneficial for my particular use case. For example if I want to allow only some traffic from an executable to pass via the base connection and not the VPN originating only from a subset of IPs the executable uses, I can’t do this currently with WireSock. Putting the executable in the DisallowedApps list would allow all traffic. With a powershell command, I could perform DNS queries among other things, and add these routes manually via powershell as well. This isn’t to say that I couldn’t just connect to WireSockUI and run these commands separately in powershell, because I believe you totally could. However, having it done automatically integrated into WireSock would be much more convenient!

The practical example/use case for this is imagine you are using a VPN to connect to some service in which you to mask your IP and geolocation, such as a foreign game. However, the download of the game does not send any identifying information and is handled separately (although through the same exe). Routing the download of the game to use your base internet would generally get you better throughput, but also avoid using a lot of data on the remote VPN server.

IXSoul
          Participant

I forgot to mention, in this use case the list of IPs is not known ahead of time or is too large, so it needs to be retrieved dynamically, so DisallowedIPs would not be an efficient solution here.

Vadim Smirnov
            Keymaster

Hmm, it might be beneficial for you to consider utilizing the command line version of the WireSock VPN Client. This allows you the flexibility to start or stop the client either as a standalone application or as a service, directly from a PowerShell script.

IXSoul
              Participant

I can do the functionality with the GUI version as well as I mentioned. However it being handled automatically by PostUp PostDown would be advantageous in terms of ease of use. But I understand, thank you

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.