qBittorrent failed to listen on IP

Home Forums Discussions Support qBittorrent failed to listen on IP

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Rib
    Participant

I am following the guide posted here (https://www.ntkernel.com/advanced-bittorrent-split-tunneling-with-wiresock/) but qBittorrent is failing to connect through the VPN. I have bound qBittorrent to the WireSock adapter. In the qBittorrent logs, the message “Failed to listen on IP. IP: “169.254.xxx.xxx”. Reason “The requested address is not valid in its context” appears.

Other applications that I have whitelisted appear to use the VPN connection just fine.

• This topic was modified 2 months, 3 weeks ago by Rib.
      Vadim Smirnov
      Keymaster

An IP address in the range of 169.254.xxx.xxx is known as an Automatic Private IP Address (APIPA). This is assigned to a computer or network device when it’s configured to obtain an IP address automatically, but the device is unable to find a DHCP server (a network server that automatically provides and assigns IP addresses, default gateways and other network parameters) to give it an address.

This often happens when a device fails to obtain an IP address from a DHCP server, either because the server is not available, or because there’s an issue with the network connection. The 169.254.xxx.xxx address allows the device to communicate with other network devices that have similarly self-assigned IP addresses, but it won’t be able to communicate outside its local subnet. This is often a temporary state, until the device can properly obtain an IP address from a DHCP server.

There appear to be two potential scenarios: firstly, your VPN might be inaccurately assigning private IP addresses from inappropriate Internet realms; secondly, WireSock could be facing challenges in setting up the virtual network interface with the correct address. To resolve this, ensure that you operate WireSockUI as an Administrator, since it requires these elevated privileges to successfully configure the virtual network interface.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.