Feature equivalent to Cloudflare WARP app’s “Proxy Mode”

Home Forums Discussions General Feature equivalent to Cloudflare WARP app’s “Proxy Mode”

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    hyde
    Participant

Apps with configurable proxy support can route traffic through the local socks proxy at localhost:[PORT] made available by Cloudflare WARP app’s “Proxy Mode”.

Is there a way to configure WireSock + WireSockUI to match Cloudflare WARP app’s “Proxy Mode”?

Vadim Smirnov
      Keymaster

If you set up a local SOCKS5 proxy on your machine and add its name to AllowedApps, it will function equivalently to WARP Proxy mode.

hyde
        Participant

WARP Proxy mode disallows connection when the VPN connection goes down or when WARP is turned off using the toggle switch.

This feature is exactly what I’m looking for. I don’t want the app with configurable proxy support to connect AT ALL when the VPN is down or is in a turned off state.

For example, with WARP Proxy mode enabled (from WARP app settings) but WARP turned off (using the toggle switch), when a local SOCKS5 configured Firefox browser tries to establish a connection to a website, an error saying that the socks connection has failed/timed out, is thrown. This protects the Firefox process from making connections using my real IP address.

In WinSock + WinSockUI with VPN configuration having AllowedApps set to “firefox” process, I always have to ensure that it’s connected. I’m unaware of a way of STOPPING the Firefox app/process from connecting using my real IP when the VPN configuration is in a deactivated state.

To sum it up, AllowedApps do not STOP the allowed app to make connections using my real IP when the VPN configuration is inactive or deactivated in WinSock + WinSockUI.

Setting up a local SOCKS5 proxy using an app & adding that to the AllowedApps like you suggested will have the same effect since the local SOCKS5 proxy forwarder/relay will connect using my real IP when the VPN configuration is inactive or deactivated in WinSock + WinSockUI.

hyde
          Participant

Perhaps PreUp, PostUp, PreDown, and PostDown scripts can be used to start/stop the SOCKS5 local proxy server in time.

PostUp => start SOCKS5 local proxy server
            PreDown/PostDown => stop SOCKS5 local proxy server

• This reply was modified 1 month, 2 weeks ago by hyde.
            Vadim Smirnov
            Keymaster

You can bind the local SOCKS5 proxy application to the WireSock network interface, following the same steps outlined for qBittorrent in this post. After that, add it to AllowedApps. This approach will meet all your requirements.

Vadim Smirnov
              Keymaster

PostUp => start SOCKS5 local proxy server
                PreDown/PostDown => stop SOCKS5 local proxy server

This also looks like an interesting possibility 🤔

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.