WireSock VPN Gateway NAT Problem

Home Forums Discussions Support WireSock VPN Gateway NAT Problem

Tagged: 

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    pikacu222
    Participant

Hello all,

I am trying to reach my local client but I cannot make it work somehow. There is no problem with VPN network. I can ping VPN IPs without a problem between VPN Gateway Server and VPN Client PC. Also when I check traceroute mylocalclientIP from VPN Client PC it routes packets to Wireguard + Wiresock VPN Gateway Server, so i think there is no problem with that I guess. I suspect “Force routing DISABLED!” log line.You can find some information about my setup below:

Any help much appreciated 🙂

pikacu222
      Participant

Local Client PC <—> Wireguard + Wiresock VPN Gateway Server —> VPN Client PC

pikacu222
        Participant

pikacu222
          Participant

Sorry for the mess. I could not send all the information in one post.

Thanks in advance

Vadim Smirnov
            Keymaster

The message “Force routing DISABLED!” simply indicates that manual routing is not required for the internet interface in this case. While manual routing is necessary for some types of WAN connections, in this situation, the routing will be managed by the Windows TCP/IP stack.

In practice, the VPN Gateway implements Network Address Translation (NAT) from the WinTun/Wireguard virtual network adapter to the external network. This NAT functionality is unidirectional, meaning that a Wireguard client can access external resources, but an external host cannot establish a connection to the Wireguard client. If you encounter issues with VPN client communications, it is recommended to check the Windows Firewall settings to ensure proper connectivity.

pikacu222
              Participant

Thank you for your replu. There is no problem with VPN connection actually. Wireguard + Wiresock VPN Gateway Server —> (Wireguard) VPN Client PC can communicate via their VPN IPs without problem. However, when I try to reach LAN behind the Wiresock VPN Gateway Server, it does not route to local network.

pikacu222
                Participant

Thank you for your replu. There is no problem with VPN connection actually. Wireguard + Wiresock VPN Gateway Server —> (Wireguard) VPN Client PC can communicate via their VPN IPs without problem. However, when I try to reach LAN behind the Wiresock VPN Gateway Server, it does not route to local network.

pikacu222
                  Participant

Vadim Smirnov
                    Keymaster

However, when I try to reach LAN behind the Wiresock VPN Gateway Server, it does not route to local network.

NAT, or Network Address Translation, operates in a unidirectional manner. This means that it is not designed to route packets from the external interface to the internal network unless the connections associated with these packets were originally established from within the internal network. In other words, NAT allows internal devices to communicate with external networks, while simultaneously providing a layer of security by preventing unsolicited incoming traffic from directly accessing the internal network.

pikacu222
                      Participant

Hello Vadim,

When I read “WireSock VPN Gateway sets up a WireGuard VPN Server on Windows and allows WireGuard clients to connect to the server’s Internet/LAN” part, I thought it also route packets. What I understand is now, there is no such functionality. It only provides NAT. Is that correct or is there I way for it?

Thank you so much for your responses.

Vadim Smirnov
                        Keymaster

allows WireGuard clients to connect to the server’s Internet/LAN

That’s correct; Wireguard clients can access the server’s Internet/LAN, but the reverse direction is not supported. In other words, it is not possible to access Wireguard clients via the server’s public interface. This limitation arises because, in order to establish a connection with a Wireguard client through the server’s public interface, a peer would need to know the client’s internal IP address. However, the client’s internal IP is not publicly known or advertised, which makes direct access to Wireguard clients unfeasible in this configuration.

While it is technically possible to map selected TCP/UDP ports on the external interface to Wireguard clients, the current version of WireSock VPN Gateway does not support port forwarding. This means that, as of now, direct access to Wireguard clients through the server’s public interface remains unfeasible using WireSock VPN Gateway.

pikacu222
                          Participant

Thank you so much for the clarification 🙂

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.