WireSock uninstallation incomplete

Home Forums Discussions Support WireSock uninstallation incomplete

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    nrwe
    Participant

When uninstalling WireSock, drivers that installed along with WireSock such as the tun driver and packet filter wouldn’t get uninstalled, causing error when installing new versions of WireSock after uninstalling old ones. To solve the problem, user has to manually remove the drivers and clear registry keys to be able to install new versions.

Can feature be added to the program so that during uninstallation it automatically uninstalls all drivers and removes all registry keys that it previously added?

hyde
      Participant

A WireSock remnant cleaner would be nice.

Vadim Smirnov
        Keymaster

WireSock uninstall removes all components, but under some circumstances, a reboot may be required afterward. For example, some components may be marked for deletion but not immediately removed.

nrwe
          Participant

Yes, I did rebooted before checking, and it still has drivers (WireSock tun and Packet Filter driver) and registry keys remains, at least on my PC (Windows 11 22H2).

Vadim Smirnov
            Keymaster

This is unusual; it seems the uninstallation process encountered an issue. Typically, reinstalling WireSock, rebooting, then uninstalling it again and rebooting once more resolves the problem. Additionally, if WireSock was installed as a Windows service, consider stopping and uninstalling the service before uninstalling the software.

Vadim Smirnov
              Keymaster

I performed a quick install/uninstall test on Windows 11 23H2 x64 using winget to ensure everything works as expected. All driver components were removed correctly.
                If you can collect the MSI installer logs, I can investigate and try to determine what went wrong.

nrwe
                Participant

I just tried uninstall, reboot, and reinstall WireSock, the problem still exists: uninstaller woundn’t remove the drivers.

To reproduce this: uninstall the WireSock VPN Client through Control Panel and reboot, after rebooting, open Device Manager, click on the “View” tab, and select “Device by driver”, and you can see there are 2 remaining drivers “wiresock.inf” and “ndiswgc_lwf.inf”, in my case it’s oem57.inf(wiresock.inf) and oem35.inf(ndiswgc_lwf.inf).

Although this time reinstalling didn’t throw an error. (maybe it’s because that I was reinstalling the same version I guess?)

Vadim Smirnov
                  Keymaster

Could you please run CMD as an Administrator and execute the following commands to uninstall the drivers:

netcfg -v -u nt_ndiswgc
                    devcon.exe remove wiresock

To completely remove the drivers from the system, you can also execute the following:

cd C:/Windows/Inf
                    pnputil /delete-driver oem57.inf -force
                    pnputil /delete-driver oem35.inf -force

Please let me know if any errors occur during this process.

nrwe
                    Participant

I just runned the above commands, here’s the results:

netcfg -v -u nt_ndiswgc

Trying to uninstall nt_ndiswgc …

… nt_ndiswgc is not installed.

… done.

‘devcon.exe’ is not recognized as an internal or external command,
                      operable program or batch file.

After installing Windows Driver Kit:

No devices were removed.

pnputil /delete-driver oem57.inf -force
                      Microsoft PnP Utility

Driver package deleted successfully.

pnputil /delete-driver oem35.inf -force
                      Microsoft PnP Utility

Driver package deleted successfully.

Vadim Smirnov
                      Keymaster

Hmm, it looks like something went wrong. After rebooting, do you see any remaining artifacts?

nrwe
                        Participant

The drivers in the Device Manager are gone, but there is this ndiswgc.sys file remains in C:\Windows\System32\drivers\ as well as in the registry.

Vadim Smirnov
                          Keymaster

It might have been a system glitch, and the NDIS filter driver wasn’t fully uninstalled. Please check if the filter driver is still visible in the network connection properties and try uninstalling it from there.

nrwe
                            Participant

No, it’s not present in the network connection properties.

Vadim Smirnov
                              Keymaster

I believe the NDIS filter driver is uninstalled, and it should be safe to remove the binary files and/or registry keys, though these are unlikely to cause any issues. What about the WireSock virtual network adapter? Was it removed from Devices as well?

nrwe
                                Participant

Yes, it was removed (with the “pnputil /delete-driver oem57.inf -force” command).

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.