WinPacketFilter – determine packet owner app

Home Forums Discussions General WinPacketFilter – determine packet owner app

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    jerry
    Participant

Hi,

is it possible determine source/target app of catched packet(s)?
      Any sample? In .Net :]

Thanks

Jerry

Vadim Smirnov
      Keymaster

Hi,

The only sample which demonstrates process lookup (using IP Helper API) is Socksify, and it is in C++:

https://github.com/wiresock/ndisapi/tree/master/examples/cpp/socksify

However, it is not a big deal to integrate process_lookup.h into .NET C++/CLI mixed class library (ndisapi.net) and use it there.

jerry
        Participant

Hi,

thanks for quick answer!

You show me direction, very appreciated.

Integration anything to mentioned class is out of my skills, C++ is dark side :]

Waiting for ndisapi.net upgrade ;]

Jerry

Vadim Smirnov
          Keymaster

The only thing you need is a couple of IPHELPER API functions, GetExtendedTcpTable and GetExtendedUdpTable. Then just match IP/port information against information extracted from the packet.

If you need to do that in C# then here is the sample code https://www.codeproject.com/Articles/14423/Getting-the-active-TCP-UDP-connections-using-the-G

jerry
            Participant

Hi,

i’m little bit experimented with GetExtendedTcpTable / GetExtendedUdpTable. After decoding packet with PacketDotNet library, I check this packet in proper table. Working good, no performanece issue (tested with torrent client running :-).

Two problems (now):

Short livetime of endpoint in table  – solved with Event trace monitor and delaying remove endpoint from another endpoint table..

But a huge number of packets are not found in table – probably correct endpoint is not created yet… And because torrent/web browser comms contains lot of “short” communications – 2-3 packets, I’m unable identify owning process. Solution with ETW doesnt wotk, because events has 2-3 sec delays…

Any idea? Postpone these (all?) packets? 🙁

My target is:
              – store statistic about apps comms
              – control this comms by user filter – simple “firewall”

Thanks.

Jerry

Vadim Smirnov
              Keymaster

You should consider one thing about GetExtendedTcpTable / GetExtendedUdpTable. These functions return you only connections available to the application (more precisely, to the user running the application). It is not a problem if you run as a service under LocalSystem account, but if you execute it under standard user account, you won’t see processes from other users (and services).

jerry
                Participant

I’m not sure with this…

My app runs with admin privileges under standard account and I see endpoints for svchost (Local service/SYSTEM acc), Idle process, System process and so on…

jerry
                  Participant

sorry, my mistake – wrong  ip conversion to uint32.
                    most of unidentified packets was with ip starting with 128 and higher…

let’s go investigate rest of unidentified packets 🙂

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.