WindowsPacketFilter/Tools/ebridge not working

Home Forums Discussions Support Portal WindowsPacketFilter/Tools/ebridge not working

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    littlefooch
    Participant

I installed WindowsPacketFilter on Win 10 20H2. I executed ebridge.exe in a command window. Command appeared to work, no bridge noted on IPCONFIG /all or Network Connections.

What am I doing incorrectly?
    Thanks

Vadim Smirnov

Ebridge implements the transparent bridge and thus it does not affect ipconfig output.

littlefooch
    Participant

I tested after setting up a 2 adapter bridge (these are Thunderbolt adapters).

When set up, cannot ping across the bridge, so doesn’t seem to be working.

Here’s the scenario:
    1. Connect three Win 10 20H2 machines via Thunderbolt Networking
    2. the middle machine exposes the TB Adapter from each neighbor
    3. Bridging the three together via the middle man works for existing ‘Bridge Connections’ from the Network Connections UI (after much fuss and redo)
    4. Disable all other network connections to the lan (ethernet and wifi adapters)
    4. Test is to invoke each neighbor using //name.local which yields the file explorer for each neighbor, once at a time of course.
    5. Of course each neighbor can be pinged by ping name.local

These tests do not work after setting up the transparent bridge

Any suggestions?
    Thanks
    LF

Vadim Smirnov

I have tested Ethernet Bridge sample only over Ethernet and WiFi adapters and if you look through this paper then bridging WiFi was a tricky task (required MAC level address translation). I have never tested Ethernet Bridge over Thunderbolt, but I suspect that it has its own specifics which should taken into account.

littlefooch
    Participant

Thanks for your reply.
    I’m happy to test if you decide to look further into the bridging of Thunderbolt adapters.

LF

Vadim Smirnov

I don’t have the hardware to test with on my side, so let’s try to look at what is going on the network layer. Here is the Debug build of Ethernet Bridge which saves packets capture from all bridged adapters. Try to test it with Thunderbolt (e.g. send pings from the one host connected to the bridge to another one) and send me PCAP files and ‘ipconfig /all’ output.

littlefooch
    Participant

Thanks Vadim, I’ll get to it tomorrow.

I hit the debug build link and it went off into lala land with no download (after all it is MS)

littlefooch
    Participant

correction, got it after a second try

littlefooch
    Participant

results are available in a zip

note that I disabled all adapters other than TB3
    PCAP result names seem to indicate that selected adapters by number were not actually selected by ebridge

how to return results to you? see no way to attach zip. Google Drive share will required email, thanks

Vadim Smirnov

Does ebridge displays your TB adapters at all or they are just ignored by software? If it does not then probably I do need to add TB medium support first. Could you please run ‘listadapters’ from the standard tools and share its output?

You can share Google driver to my gmail.com account ‘gmkernel’.

littlefooch
    Participant

resent as pilot error on adapter selection in first set of results.
    second set just sent

do you still need ‘listadapters’

Vadim Smirnov

From what I can see ebridge can see both TB connections, so lets keep the ‘listadapters’ aside.

As I can see both TB adapters on the central host have auto-configured IP addresses and pinging by name does not work. Could you assign all TB adapters some fixed IPv4 addresses and try to ping over the bridge? E.g.

PC1-TB [10.0.0.1/24] <–> [10.0.0.2/24]TB1-PC2-TB2[10.0.0.3/24] <–> [10.0.0.4] TB-PC3

Then try to ping 10.0.0.4 from 10.0.0.1 and vice versa while running the ebridge. If bridge works then you should be able to, if not then send me captures to look what is going wrong.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.