Windows 10 and Raspberry Pi 2

Home Forums Discussions Support Windows 10 and Raspberry Pi 2

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    matt
    Participant

Hi,

With Windows 10 looking like it will be available on the Raspberry Pi 2, what’s the likely hood that winpkfilter will work on this device too? Any at all?

Regards,

Matt.

Vadim Smirnov
      Keymaster

Matt,

That depends on how Microsoft is going to release it. If Windows 10 supposed to work on Raspberry Pi 2 is going to be similar to Windows RT (where you can’t install anything besides Windows Update or applications from Windows Store) then the answer is probably no.

However, I don’t see much sense in releasing restricted OS for such device like Raspberry Pi 2 because you just won’t have any chance to extend it with custom hardware by installing appropriate drivers. So there is a little hope that platform will be at least as opened as x86 Windows 10 and we will be able to run custom drivers on it. If it happens then yes, just need to build WinpkFilter for ARM.

matt
        Participant

Hi Vadim,

Thanks for your response – yes, I agree with you – no point releasing for the Pi if you can’t go tweaking with it… just sit and wait for the moment I guess!

nat32support
          Participant

@matt wrote:

Hi Vadim,

Thanks for your response – yes, I agree with you – no point releasing for the Pi if you can’t go tweaking with it… just sit and wait for the moment I guess!

The Windows 10 stuff for the Pi is now here:

http://ms-iot.github.io/content/GetStarted.htm

It’s looking good because one can run C++ code on it and devcon.exe is supported, which means that device drivers can be installed.

Vadim Smirnov
            Keymaster

I have played a little with Windows 10 on Raspberry Pi 2 over the weekend. The good news is that yes, it allows device drivers installations and etc…

Regretfully devcon is not suitable for installing network filter drivers and since there is no GUI control panel applet then a port of snetcfg is also needed to install NDIS Lightweight Filter Driver. It was not a big deal to compile WinpkFilter for ARM, but simple compilation of snetcfg for ARM did not work and it needs more time to resolve.

matt
              Participant

Hi Vadim,

Have you had any more luck with getting this working? I’d be really interested in this…

Matt.

Vadim Smirnov
                Keymaster

Hi Matt,

I did not have much to continue testing with Windows 10 yet. The second reason is that Windows 10 IoT does not yet support all the features it is supposed to, so it may be time wasting to test before release. However, I do plan to continue the research.

-Vadim

matt
                  Participant

Ah OK – not to worry, let’s see when Windows 10 fully arrives… would really like to try and port my current project and release it generally (with a license of course!) as all going well at the moment…

thanks again.

jbu
                    Participant

Hi, is Windows 10 ARM already supported? Thanks

Vadim Smirnov
                      Keymaster

Windows 10 ARM64 is supported and driver build is available to registered customers.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.