Virtnet, Configuring and Customizations

Home Forums Discussions Support Virtnet, Configuring and Customizations

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    mpheyse
    Participant

Virtnet is a really cool little tool, thats been a lot of fun messing around with. Windows drivers not being one of my strong suites. In the Topic Using the virtual network adapter VirtNet, Post #6, hinted at a way to set the default Mac. So I started messing around to see what I could do.

‘Out of the box’ Virtnet’s MAC is 02-00-4C-4F-4F-50, and this Hex string can be seen occurring only once in the driver file Virtnet.sys, starting at &H84C. However changing the value, renders a driver code 39 “Driver corrupt or missing”. I’m guessing it has some sort of check sum.

The I switched gears over to the .inf file, which has some commented sections on making changes.

[ControlFlags]
      // Note: Uncomment next line if your NIC is not to be installed manually
      ;ExcludeFromSelect = *NM_VIRTNET
      [Models]
      ; Note 1. Replace the bogus *NM_VIRTNET "hw-id" with a real hardware PnP ID
      ; Note 2. Optionally, add more NIC models supported by this file
      ;
      ; DisplayName Section hw-id
      ;

%*VIRTNET.devicedesc%=*virtnet.ndi, *NM_VIRTNET
      ;

; Optional Custom Parameters in the Registry ("Advanced" menu).
      [VIRTNET.params.reg]
      ; For example:
      HKR, NDIparamsNetworkAddress, ParamDesc, 0, %NetworkAddress%
      HKR, NDIparamsNetworkAddress, type, 0, "edit"
      HKR, NDIparamsNetworkAddress, LimitText, 0, "12"
      HKR, NDIparamsNetworkAddress, UpperCase, 0, "1"
      HKR, NDIparamsNetworkAddress, default, 0, " "
      HKR, NDIparamsNetworkAddress, optional, 0, "1"

The third Section, in key “NetworkAddress” called Default seemed really interesting. However, as far as I can tell on XPsp2 it does nothing when set to a MAC. The Rom/Hard MAC is still 02-00-4C-4F-4F-50, and the soft MAC is still unset, with no value.

I did get a driver installed MAC to work by Setting the Soft MAC by adding the following to a reg section of the inf.

HR, , NetworkAddress, 0, "00CCCCCCCCCC"

This simply replicates the driver setting a Soft MAC in the windows registry, and isn’t really changing the default MAC. It has left me wondering what these settings do. Could we possibly get a rundown on the function of these settings? And can we get a description of how to Change the Default MAC that Topic Using the virtual network adapter VirtNet, Post #6, hinted at? If there have been Previous Posts, or some documentation that I simply missed, just point me in the right direction.

As a side note, Is there a checksum in windows driver files?

mpheyse
      Participant

@mpheyse wrote:

The third Section, in key “NetworkAddress” called Default seemed really interesting. However, as far as I can tell on XPsp2 it does nothing when set to a MAC. The Rom/Hard MAC is still 02-00-4C-4F-4F-50, and the soft MAC is still unset, with no value.

I don’t know how I missed it but setting

HKR, NDIparamsNetworkAddress,           default,        0, " "

To a value

HKR, NDIparamsNetworkAddress,           default,        0, "00EEEEEEEEEE"

Does setup a default value for when you go to manually enter a Soft MAC via the advance tab of the driver.

I’m not sure how I missed it the first time, but my other questions still stand.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.