Using VirtNet HELP !!!

Home Forums Discussions Support Using VirtNet HELP !!!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    m3z
    Participant

Hello,

I look for informations about VirtNet driver but i do not find user manual. Perhaps it’s unnecessary for most of people working arount the subjet, but i am just beginner in networking.

So please can help me understanding.
      The case :
      I want to install a Half – life dedicated server (stand alone version) on a Windows server. The server is behind a nat router. It physical addess is set in dhcp server and is a class C => 192.168.2.200.
      The problème is that the server need to know external IP address to communicate it to the master server which commnucate it to clients. I have no config file / running flags to tell server that external IP is differente from machine IP. It know only one IP address. Of course if i set extrenal IP it is unable to open it.
      The solution should be an IP Alias on the server network interface.
      VirtNet seem to be the solution. But i am not able to set up it.

some questions :

– Must i set MAC address identical to physical network card ? i think yes
      – How frames are routed/dispatch between the 2 addresses
      – Is the Virtual IP is knowne from router. In this case have i to forward incoming frames to Virtual IP rather than 192.168.2.200
      – Have i set new routes on server and/or router

I thanks in advance for you help

Vadim Smirnov
      Keymaster

Hmm, you mean that HL server reports its IP addresses to master server? If so then probably VirtNet adapter with assigned external IP address is a solution. In any case you will also need the correct port mapping on NAT device.

The problem may appear if HL server reports only one IP address (from which it communicate to master server).

– Must i set MAC address identical to physical network card ? i think yes

I think no, MAC address for VirtNet does not really makes sense because this adapter never really sends/receives packets.

– How frames are routed/dispatch between the 2 addresses

If you have got configured port mapping on NAT device you will receive packets to 192.168.2.200 and you don’t really need to care about routing.

– Is the Virtual IP is knowne from router. In this case have i to forward incoming frames to Virtual IP rather than 192.168.2.200

Don’t understand what you mean.

– Have i set new routes on server and/or router

I have already mentioned port mapping required on NAT device.

m3z
        Participant

Thanks a lot for those explanations

Here is what i undestood about the way it works.

All in coming frames , (which, of course, arrives by physical NIC) are send to applications listening; no mater IP because applications listen ports not IP + port.
          All frame send throw Virtual IP are redirected to physical NIC and then to the router.
          Router only know the real (class C) IP. All forward must be done to physical NIC IP address

Is it all right ?

Thanks again for you help

basma
          Participant

Hi
            i need help ,may be installing Virtual Network Adapter VirtNet 1.0 but can not use it .say if i disable my real LAN card then use only virtual LAN cannot connrct to network then it sends packets but received zero packets why???????

Vadim Smirnov
            Keymaster

How do you expect to use VirtNet?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.