Using the virtual network adapter VirtNet

Home Forums Discussions Support Using the virtual network adapter VirtNet

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Koalabaerchen2000
    Participant

Recently, the virtual network adapter VirtNet has been released. Is this only a loopback adapter like the Microsoft’s one or can you do some more things with it? I installed the adapter and assigned and IP address to it. It is possible to send packets using this adapter but can you also make the adapter receive packets from the virtual network? I would appreciate if someone could give me some hints how to use this virtual adapter. Unfortunatelly, there is no documentation provided.

Thanks in advance, Max.

Vadim Smirnov
      Keymaster

As it is stated on VirtNet page it is just dummy network interface which does not do anything special itself (similar to MS loopback adapter, but supports all Windows operating systems). However, when used in combination with WinpkFilter you can build various virtual network environments over it.

WinpkFilter can be used for implementing two major tasks:

1) To indicate packets from the name of VirtNet to TCP/IP stack.
        2) To intercept packets sent by TCP/IP stack to VirtNet network interface.

You can create pure virtual network environment or bridge it to the real network or …. Actually, it depends only from you requirements.

ByTE
        Participant

Why speed showed after install equals to 10 MBit/s? This is real limit? Really can this adapter handle mutch more speeds?

Vadim Smirnov
          Keymaster

Why speed showed after install equals to 10 MBit/s? This is real limit? Really can this adapter handle mutch more speeds?

No, this is not a real limit of course. There is no actual limit for virtual adapter except system perfomance. It’s just a value reported by miniport for the corresponding OID request.

ByTE
            Participant

I have some questions again:
              Can I install virtual adapter programmatically?
              Can I install 2,3…5 adapters in one system and set different MAC addresses for each adapter programmatically?
              Virtual adapter supports frame length > 1514 bytes for 802.1p/q standards?
              Thank’s.

Vadim Smirnov
              Keymaster

Can I install virtual adapter programmatically?

In general yes, but I should note that this is not easy if you intend to support different Windows.I’m also not sure if it is possible on NT 4.0 at all.

Can I install 2,3…5 adapters in one system and set different MAC addresses for each adapter programmatically?

You can create more than one network device within single virtual network adapter driver. So the amswer is yes, but requires additional work.

Virtual adapter supports frame length > 1514 bytes for 802.1p/q standards?

VirtNet emulates 802.3 device, however you can create driver to emulate any kind of network device.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.