Use VirtNet to connect to Internet

Home Forums Discussions Support Use VirtNet to connect to Internet

Tagged: 

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    pranitbagadia
    Participant

Hi, I was wondering if each a scenerio is possible.

In my pc I have one physcial network adapter, with it is it possible to link another virtual network adapter – which can connect to the internet as well?

Vadim Smirnov
      Keymaster

Yes, but you will need to relay packets from the virtual NIC to the real one. For example, you can use the Windows Packet Filter for this purpose.

pranitbagadia
        Participant

Hi Vadim,

Thanks for the reply

Really excited to see that this is possible.

I was looking through the samples of Windows Packet Filter, and I thought the sample “Ethernet Bridge” will be the one that will help fulfill this requirement.

Will installing this program I got an error message saying its only built for x86 architecture. While all my computers are x64 built.

Can you please guide me what can I do, to get this working

Thanks

Vadim Smirnov
          Keymaster

I think you have downloaded binaries for legacy Windows systems. Instead, you should try this more modern Windows Packet Filter example. Compiled binaries are available here. Note to install Windows Packet Filter drivers to be able to use sample binaries.

pranitbagadia
            Participant

Hi Vadim,

I have read the documentation on “https://www.ntkernel.com/bridging-networks-with-windows-packet-filter/” and have understood that this is perfect to get my requirement working.

I was trying to build Ethernet Bridge using vs22, and while doing so I was getting errors, that I am not being able to resolve.

Sorry, this might seem very silly to you, but I am very new to learning about Windows Networking and using Visual Studio, who just happened to come up with such a requirement.

It would be a great help if you can share a built version of the latest Ethernet Bridge.

pranitbagadia
              Participant

Sorry to bother, got the exe built

Vadim Smirnov
                Keymaster

Good! However, in my previous post, I indicated where you can download the pre-build binaries. This archive contains all what you needed.

pranitbagadia
                  Participant

Hi, I have been exploring “Ethernet Bridge” and it works flawlessly.

But on one of my PC I am running a Virtual Machine via VirtualBox, the internet connect of the Virtual Machine gets disconnected as I start to bridge my network with a Virtual NIC.

In another case I bridged 3 Network Adapters, 1.Physcial Lan Adapter 2.VirNet Network Adapter and 3.VirtualBox Host-Only Network
                    Still same case.

Is there a workaround for this?

Vadim Smirnov
                    Keymaster

I have not tried to test compatibility with VirtualBox, in general, Ethernet Bridge is just a sample to demonstrate the capabilities of Windows Packet Filter. But it’s quite possible that VirtualBox is using a similar approach to connect to the host network and there is some conflict. This requires more in-depth research.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.