Unable to access internet when firewall on

Home Forums Discussions Support Unable to access internet when firewall on

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    yathindra
    Participant

Hi,
      This post is not related to this site but asking since i need some help related to this problem. Actually my problem is when my firewall is on i am unable to access the internet. Actual problem according to my firewall reports IE(inernet explorer) sends data through one port but it is getting reply on some other port hence firewall is blocking the internet. In general when application send data through one port it will get reply on the same port. But here it is different where the problem might be? please give reply for this if any body knows otherwise suggest me where can i get solution for this or provide some site where i can get help related to this. Actually i use broaband router to access the internet. Generally this case is not occuring for all cases only for few i am facing this problem. OS is windows XP just for information. Please give reply as soon as possible. I am not getting reply in some other forums hence posted here.

Thanking you,

Regards,
      Yathindra.

Vadim Smirnov
      Keymaster

Something similar is possible if you use IE to download from FTP server:

FTP protocol normally uses two connections, first is control channel for FTP commands and second data channel to send the actual data. In active mode FTP client creates a local listening socket and sends PORT command to FTP server specifying local IP address and port. Then FTP server connects this IP:port and requested file is transferred over this TCP connection. Thus request for file is sent over one TCP connection but file is sent over another one. In passive mode both control and data channels are initiated by FTP client (this mode is easier for NAT traversal), but once again request is sent by client over control channel but data are sent from server over data channel. This is very similar to what you have reported. If I remember fine normally IE uses FTP in passive mode.

yathindra
        Participant

Hi,

Thanks for your response. But for normal browsing any browser uses HTTP protocol instead of FTP in that case where might the problem will be?

Vadim Smirnov
          Keymaster

HTTP is more straightforward and should not behave like that.

yathindra
            Participant

Hi,

Then where might the problem will be? I need some help regarding this suggestions needed regarding this issue. I am having this problem from so many days.

Vadim Smirnov
              Keymaster

Difficult to say as this issue needs a deep analyses. May be this is just a software bug in firewall.

yathindra
                Participant

Hi,
                  How to rectify this. As you said deep analysis can you say in which things i need to look in to for analysis to identify the problem. Also as you said software bug in firewall where it might be? any idea?

Thanking you,

Regards,
                  Yathindra.

Vadim Smirnov
                  Keymaster

I’m not aware much about you firewall code, but I would start with loging data out of your firewall solkution and running network sniffer in parallel in order to catch the situation and analyze what hapens.

yathindra
                    Participant

Hi,

Thanks for your suggestion.

yathindra
                      Participant

Hi,

I downloaded EtherDetect packet sniffer tool to trace for packet flow. While installing it it also installs WinPCap tool also. Now i have both winpkfilter and winpCap network drivers. When i run the sniffer tool and then access the internet i am unable to access the internet. When i not capture i am able to access the internet. What could be the problem. Is there any compatability issue with both drivers or what else? Please reply. Otherwise suggest a packet sniffer tool which is compatible with winpkfilter also and able to work when try to capture packets with the sniffer tool. Waiting for reply.

Thanking you,

Regards,
                        Yathindra.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.