Specify wiresock interface type on connection

Home Forums Discussions Support Specify wiresock interface type on connection

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    anton.markov
    Participant

Hello,

first of all, thank you for your great work. Working with Wiresock after an official Wireguard client is a relief 🙂

I have a little question, however. When Wiresock connects, it creates a new interface every time. By default, this interface receives a “public” type that blocks any incoming traffic that had not been explicitly allowed. This is a good practice of course, but there are “road warrior” scenarios where you need to have a connectivity to a client computer. I could have sorted this out with post-connection script (e.g. Set-NetConnectionProfile -NetworkCategory Private for Wiresock interface), but this would only work if Wiresock runs with elevated admin privileges. I, hovewer, have to run it in user mode.

Of course I can allow some of my apps through firewall in a Public profile as well, but this would be a security flaw. I use Wiresock to connect to a private network with a potentially unsafe applications, and that’s the reason why I want to mark the interface as Private not allowing those apps to connect on Public networks.

Is there a possibility to automatically mark the interface as Public, or to make it persistent so that I will mark it once and for all?

Thank you in advance 🙂

anton.markov
      Participant

Typo: of course, I want to mark it as Private, not Public 🙂

Vadim Smirnov
        Keymaster

Hello Anton,

It seems there’s a bit of a misunderstanding. During the installation process, a single virtual network adapter is set up. This adapter is only renamed and configured (assigned an IP address, etc.) based on the tunnel configuration. However, these operations usually require elevated privileges, so WireSock in virtual adapter mode needs to be run as an administrator. If you can’t run it as an administrator, you can use WireSock in transparent mode instead.

In transparent mode, the virtual network adapter isn’t activated. Instead, it intercepts traffic from the default network interface and sends it over the tunnel. This way, you can run WireSock as a normal user and configure your default network adapter as private.

I hope this helps! If you have any more questions or need further assistance, feel free to ask.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.