Silent WinPkfilter Installation

Home Forums Discussions Support Silent WinPkfilter Installation

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    lyzar
    Participant

hello,
      at the moment I´m evaluating the winpkfilter for my purposes.

One of my needs is a silent installation process with signed driver files under windows 2008 R2 X64.

I know that driver signing is a requirement for installing the drivers (followed the Microsoft guide)
      As far as i can concern, the signing process was done right (including creating the cat files, signing ndisrd.sys … ).

I did the installation of the drivers with the snetcfg.exe utility (snetcfg.exe -v -l ndisrd.inf -m ndisrd_m.inf -c s -i nt_ndisrd ).
      Unfortunately it seems the driver is not correctly installed with this method (IsDriverLoaded() fails).
      driverquery.exe shows that the driver is not loaded in the system:

Is there any additional step necessary for installing the drivers? As far as i can concern installing the driver with the installer, there are some registry keys written for the miniport driver. Is there a possibility for doing this silent from command line?

Thanks in advance,
      lyzar

Additional Information:

Installing the signed driver file with the install option of a network adapter (installed both inf files as service) leads to following driverquery output:
      Ndisrd WinpkFilter Service WinpkFilter Service Kernel Manual
      Stopped OK FALSE FALSE 0 20,480 0
      8/28/2009 7:48:38 AM C:Windowssystem32DRIVERSndisrd.sys 4,096

NdisrdMP NdisrdMP NdisrdMP Kernel Manual

driverquery output running the winpkflt_rtl.exe with disabled driver signature enforcement:
      C:UsersAdministrator>driverquery /v | find “ndisrd”
      Ndisrd WinpkFilter Service WinpkFilter Service Kernel Manual

NdisrdMP NdisrdMP NdisrdMP Kernel Manual
      Running OK TRUE FALSE 0 20,480 0

Vadim Smirnov
      Keymaster

If installation fails them something is definitely wrong with driver signing. We have customers who initially have signed drivers following Microsoft guide, but something was missed and installation failed.So far each such case was successfully resolved. Try to install signed drivers manually (through the Local Area Connection properties) to see if system complains on signing.

Note, that for the NDIS IM drivers you have to sign both CAT file and driver binary (embedded signature). May be this the case.

Creating an absolutely silent installation is possible, but prior to installing driver you have to install your certificate as trusted one. In this case system won’t ask user if he trusts the particular vendor during driver install process. This is not recommended by Microsoft. though.

lyzar
        Participant

Hello,
          i managed to install the drivers with the network adapter property dialog (installed both inf files as service): forgot to enable testsigning (thought i did this step before creating my first snapshot *doh*).
          The is isDriverLoaded() Api call works with this method now.

But installing the drivers with the snetcfg.exe does not work for me 🙁
          As far as i can see during the winpkflt installer there is some reading and writing of registry keys done. Is there any need for particular registry settings for getting the drivers working?

Thanks in advance,
          lyzar

Vadim Smirnov
          Keymaster

As far as i can see during the winpkflt installer there is some reading and writing of registry keys done. Is there any need for particular registry settings for getting the drivers working?

These registry operations are done by DriverSigning utility which disables WHQL signature requirement if this is enabled. This is actual for Windows XP/2003 and allows to avoid unnecessary warnings.

But installing the drivers with the snetcfg.exe does not work for me 🙁

If installer does install successfully but you can’t do the same when calling snetcfg manually then may be this is about privileges your command line has? Try to start CMD as administrator.

esfahan
            Participant

U can Used parameter /S after Exe

winpkflt_rtl.exe /S

Installatin Silent automatic
              (( Nofiti :Use Big “S” no small “s” )

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.