OLE hooking in Windows

Home Forums Discussions General OLE hooking in Windows

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Deneb
    Participant

Hello,

we need a mechanism to detect ( and prevent ) a process from opening a web page using the IWebBrowser / IWebBrowser2 interface via Internet Explorer. It is unclear if we should ( or can ) hook the CoCreateInstance or the methods inside the interface. A preferable method would be to hook the COM server for this interface as I suspect the server is a standalone process. Can anyone help me in this direction?

Thanks

lovepkfilter
      Participant

@Deneb wrote:

Hello,

we need a mechanism to detect ( and prevent ) a process from opening a web page using the IWebBrowser / IWebBrowser2 interface via Internet Explorer. It is unclear if we should ( or can ) hook the CoCreateInstance or the methods inside the interface. A preferable method would be to hook the COM server for this interface as I suspect the server is a standalone process. Can anyone help me in this direction?

Thanks

do u have a result for you question? u can exchange with me: iisfirewall@126.com

Vadim Smirnov
        Keymaster

Some years ago I’ve been involved into pop-up windows blocker development (module to prevent undesired browser windows to be opened). In case of Internet Explorer the most usable approach is creating Browser Helper Object http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Browser_Helper_Object

According MSDN:

IWebBrowser2 Interface
          Exposes methods that are implemented by the WebBrowser control (Microsoft ActiveX control) or implemented by an instance of the InternetExplorer application (OLE Automation).

So unless application uses ActiveX, you just get the instance of IE started, which loads BHO, which may prevent the page from being opened…

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.