netbt, TDI, TCPSendData

Home Forums Discussions General netbt, TDI, TCPSendData

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Vijender
    Participant

Hi All,

I am developing a TDI filter driver where I am trying to capture all netbt traffic, do some filtering on it and pass to tcp. The problem is netbt!NTSend. This function directly calls tcpip!TCPSendData. So I miss some data here. I just found in NTKernel-Faqs, that it is possible to directly call the tcp send handler.
      On reverse engineering netbt!NTSend, I found that it stores the pointer to TCPSendData in (FsContext+0x64) in connection file object.

I would like to know if anybody can suggest me some workaround for this. What I can think of is replacing pointer to TCPSendData in FsContext with mine function and call TCPSendData from there.

Waiting for reply.

Vadim Smirnov
      Keymaster

Q: netbt.sys calls tcpip!TCPSendData directly. How can this be explained?

A: Yes, that’s true, tcpip.sys can be requested for the pointer to the internal routine tcpip!TCPSendData. You can see the processing of the particular request (IOCTL_TDI_QUERY_DIRECT_SEND_HANDLER) in reversed engineered code of tcpip!TCPDispatch. This interface improves performance of kernel-mode tcpip.sys clients.

The solution is interception of IOCTL_TDI_QUERY_DIRECT_SEND_HANDLER, saving the TCPSendData pointer and modification of the returned pointer to your own routine. So you can track all calls to TCPSendData.

Vijender
        Participant

Hi,

I have successfully tracked IOCTL_TDI_QUERY_DIRECT_SEND_HANDLER and able to hook TCPSendData.

But is there any more undocumented ioctl which needs to be handled?
          For e.g. is there any ioctls for receive also: IOCTL_TDI_QUERY_DIRECT_RECEIVE_HANDLER.

Waiting for reply.

Vadim Smirnov
          Keymaster

Hmm, but which IOCTL’s you are interested in? An example, do you need capture IOCTL’s over DeviceIp and DeviceMULTICAST? These devices also allow sending packets; an example DeviceIp is used for sending ICMP packets (ping.exe->ICMP.DLL->DeviceIp). But in general I don’t think that you really need all that stuff.

Vijender
            Participant

Hi,

I am concerned only about Devicetcp.

And my query is on direct handlers.

Just to clarify my query:

A TDI client can get pointer to tcpip’s direct send handler using ioctl IOCTL_TDI_QUERY_DIRECT_SEND_HANDLER.
              Using this function pointer it can directly pass data to tcpip, bypassing all filter drivers.
              I have captured this ioctl from TDI clients and hooked the tcpip direct handler.

I want to know if there are more such IOCTLS for Devicetcp, that I need to capture such that no data is bypassed my filter driver.

Taras
              Participant

NTSTATUS
                TcpipSend( IN PIRP SendIrp,
                IN PIO_STACK_LOCATION SendIrpStack );

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.