Net Firewall Blocking Packets On A Low Security Interface

Home Forums Discussions Support Net Firewall Blocking Packets On A Low Security Interface

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    alvin987
    Participant

I have installed NetFirewall on windows 2000 server SP4 and everything is working fine except it is blocking some packets on an internal interface which is set to low security. I see these in the log file as blocked. This interface is only used to talk to a SQL Server which is on the internal network and I have no firewall rules blocking any traffic on this interface. I have even added rules to specifically allow the traffic with no luck. It seems to be only on inbound packets coming from the SQL Server. It is causing the application to get General Network Errors and stop. Are there any default rules that block traffic ie corrupt packets, etc that I should know about that might help me trace down this issue. This error was not occuring before I installed Net Firewall. I am using version 2.3.1.2. I have also checked the switch and can see to errors on either port. Any help would be appreciated.

Vadim Smirnov
      Keymaster

By default only fragmented packets are dropped in low security mode, others are passed.

What the reason is speciifed for blocked packets? Is it a rule or just General Security Policy?

alvin987
        Participant

Since I added the rule to specifically allow packets, it’s that rule that shows in the log as blocking it. The strange thing is that I’m running net firewall on the sql server also, and it is not blocking the packets out. Only the server receiving the packets is blocking it inbound. Also we seem to have narrowed it down to one application. There are other processes running on the box pulling information from the sql server that never get any packets blocked. It’s a very strange problem.

Vadim Smirnov
          Keymaster

Could you please e-mail the screenshot of the log with blocked packets and the screenshot of the rules list to support@ntkernel.com.

alvin987
            Participant

The requested info has been sent

alvin987
              Participant

Is there anyway to completely disable netfirewall on an interface???

Vadim Smirnov
                Keymaster

You can create PASS ALL rule for the interface you want to disable NeT Firewall at. This rule should have highest priority(an example ID=1).

valar2006
                  Participant

Well, this is right…

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.