NDISWANIP

Home Forums Discussions Support NDISWANIP

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    matt
    Participant

Hi,

Is there an easy way to detect NDISWANIP device on windows 10? Previous versions of windows have the internal name for the adapter as \device\NDISWANIP but not windows 10. Instead it looks like they have GUIDS as their names, so the question is how to detect?

This can be seen by using the listadapters example program that comes with winpkfilter which also looks for NDISWANIP in the device name and then tries to show the raslinks based on this device, however on windows 10 this doesn’t work.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Matt.

Vadim Smirnov
      Keymaster

Yes, in Windows 10 it is a little bit trickier to identify NDISWANIP interface and yes, you are right I have to update ListAdapters sample.

However, it is not a complex task at all. in order to do this you have to enumerate subkeys of the registry key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Network\{4D36E972-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}. Each subkey represents a network interface and the name of the subkey is the same as returned by WinpkFilter driver internal network interface name. For each network connection subkey you have to open ‘Connection’ subkey and check ‘PnPInstanceId’ value. If it is ‘SWD\MSRRAS\MS_NDISWANIP’ then this connection corresponds NDISWANIP connection under earlier versions of Windows.

Hope it helps…

matt
        Participant

Hi, yes thank you – it did help. The GUID was the important bit, however searching through the registry I found a common way to support both Windows 10 and earlier versions using the Class registry tree, not Network.

If you enumerate all subkeys of HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E972-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318} and look for the componentid=ms_ndiswanip, and then grab the linkage subkey and the export string it seems to work for at least both windows 7 and windows 10 from what i can see.

Thanks again for pointing me in the right direction!

deepannegi
          Participant

The listadapters utility output for Windows 7 clearly shows NDISWANIP, NDISWANIP6 and NDISWANBH adapters, on Windows 10 the registry mentioned above gives the right information (Also works on Windows 7). But, for windows 8.1, neither listadapters nor registry has entry for NDISWANIP adapter.

Is NDISWANIP even present on Windows 8? Or should I not worry about it while working on Windows 8.1?

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.