Kerio & WinPKFilter?

Home Forums Discussions Support Kerio & WinPKFilter?

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    ByTE
    Participant

SerpentFly wrote:

WinpkFilter installation scripts (for Windows 2000/XP/2003) were updated in order to support compatibility with the latest released version of Kerio Personal Firewall. Details: Group:”Network” Start:0 were changed to Group: “Streams Drivers” Start:1.?

Can you give more info about it?
      How I must install driver?
      What version of Kerio has conflict with WinPKFilter?

Vadim Smirnov
      Keymaster

Can you give more info about it?
        How I must install driver?
        What version of Kerio has conflict with WinPKFilter?

Actually the only requirement for WinpkFilter driver is starting between NDIS.SYS and TCPIP.SYS, but some hooking drivers(like the case with Kerio) may add additional conditions (like start before or after these drivers). In case with Kerio the conflict was detected when WinpkFilter driver strats before Kerio driver, but the problem gone if WinpkFilter starts after Kerio. Thats why we had changed load order to “Streams Drivers” Start:1. However, the situation may change from release to release (by the date of the post mentioned the problem was with the newest Kerio release, and there were no problems with previous releases).

ByTE
        Participant

I have some problems with WinPKFilter framework.
          Question 1:

1. I should to change these values (Group: “Streams Drivers” Start: 1) in the registry?
          2. If I shall make it – how it will affect on work of the driver? – Any restrictions?
          3. If I later unistall Kerio, these values will not break work of the driver?

Question 2:

Driver can’t to detect network cards RTL8139/810X Family 🙁
          (Windows XP SP2) – any comments?
          Can I see list of non-compatable network cards?
          WANIP interface also not detected – any ideas?

ListAdapters don’t show any adapters also…

Vadim Smirnov
          Keymaster

1. I should to change these values (Group: “Streams Drivers” Start: 1) in the registry?

Current WinpkFilter build installed with the settings above.

3. If I later unistall Kerio, these values will not break work of the driver?

No, there is no actual dependency from the Kerio driver.

Driver can’t to detect network cards RTL8139/810X Family Sad
            (Windows XP SP2) – any comments?

There are no problems with any network cards because the details of realization or each one are hidden inside NDIS. The problem you have expirienced rather specific to the software installed (firewalls, traffic counting monitoring tools and etc.). Also it may appear that the driver start load order is broken…

ByTE
            Participant

@SerpentFly wrote:

Also it may appear that the driver start load order is broken…

How can I to detect this situation?
              How can I fix problem in this case?

I can’t get list of adapters on machines with many dial-up and vpn connections in Network connections window. Returned list is empty!
              I test this on 4 computers!

Adapters and protocols binding order can affect on getting adapters list?

No specific software installed (no firewalls, filters…). I tried to disable windows xp firewall/ics – but no affect 🙁 – adapters list is empty.

PS:
              on computers with 2-3 ethernet adapters without any dial-up and vpn connections adapters list returned correctly and fine.

Vadim Smirnov
              Keymaster

Probably all these systems have some common software which prevents WinpkFilter from working normally. Without using the kernel debugger it’s usually not easy to detect the conflicting software. What kind of VPN software do you use? It can be also based on NDIS hooking drivers and conflict with WinpkFilter.

WInpkFilter is fully compatible with Windows built-in firewall and ICS.

ByTE
                Participant

I use standard Windows XP VPN and Dial-Up connections (outgoing). No any VPN server installed on this machines.

http://www.webfile.ru/463915

PS:
                  When WinpkFilter driver loaded manually (not at system boot) – I can list all needed adapters.
                  Maybe I can try to change load order with Group and Start registry values to later loading? It is possible?

Vadim Smirnov
                  Keymaster

Hmm, this is pretty strange, probably the driver start setting you have used have a problem in this case. As I had mentioned before driver should start after NDIS.SYS and before TCPIP.SYS in order to intercept TCP/IP protocols registration and binding adapter’s process. This is the only required condition. Regretfully I can’t say more without putting hands on these systems…

ByTE
                    Participant

oops…
                      I try to test it more.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.