IP Header Compression

Home Forums Discussions Support IP Header Compression

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    smlaid
    Participant

Good morning,
      At first I thank a whole team of ntkernel on their effort and especially the quality of their product, because I find the component WinpkFilter very practical and easy to use and I wish you a good continuation
      My problem is the following:
      I managed to implement a software compression IP (compression network) course through a WinpkFilter but I want to activate at once compression of IP header. then a question arises:
      is it possible to activate the compression of “IP header” when using WinpkFilter?
      Because I update the IP header after compression of each packet
      I thank you.

Vadim Smirnov
      Keymaster

What do you actually mean under “IP header compression”? RFC 2507(ftp://ftp.isi.edu/in-notes/rfc2507.txt)? Or some sort of your custom protocol compression?

smlaid
        Participant

i mean “IP header compression”–> RFC 2507(ftp://ftp.isi.edu/in-notes/rfc2507.txt)

Vadim Smirnov
          Keymaster

i mean “IP header compression”–> RFC 2507(ftp://ftp.isi.edu/in-notes/rfc2507.txt)

If here you mean to use Windows built-in IP header compression for dial-up links then I think it is implemented below the WinpkFilter (inside of NDISWAN.SYS), so it should not interfere with the changes you do to the packet and its IP header.

smlaid
            Participant

thank you SerpentFly
              does WinpkFilter work with IPv6 and IPsec too ❓ .

Vadim Smirnov
              Keymaster

WinpkFilter NDIS IM driver is suitable for filtering IPv6. As for IPSec, it is actually depends from the particular implementation (WinpkFilter driver can be installed below or above IPsec driver).

smlaid
                Participant

@SerpentFly wrote:

it is actually depends from the particular implementation .

Would you say that:
                  WinpkFilter IM NDIS driver works with IPsec and IPv6
                  while
                  WinpkFilter hooking driver does not work with IPv6 and IPsec?

@SerpentFly wrote:

WinpkFilter driver can be installed below or above IPsec driver.

WinpkFilter IM NDIS driver is above the IPsec and
                  WinpkFilter hooking driver is below or vice versa?

Vadim Smirnov
                  Keymaster

WinpkFilter hooking driver does not work with IPv6 and IPsec?

WinpkFilter hooking driver intercepts only TCPIP.SYS (IPv4) and ignores other protocols (it can be changed if needed). As soon as IPv6 is available only since Wndows XP I don’t see a problem to use NDIS IM driver instead NDIS hooking one for Windows XP and higher.

As for IPSec, as I have already told that depends from implementation, if WinpkFilter is above IPSec you will capture unencrypted packets and you will capture encrypted ones otherwise.

smlaid
                    Participant

thank you very match SerpentFly 😉
                      and i hope that winpkfilter will be available for the Java language and for embedded systems such as Symbian OS

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.