Getting RAS_LINKS info from C#

Home Forums Discussions Support Getting RAS_LINKS info from C#

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    libzhark
    Participant

I’m trying to extend the C# listadapters example to display information on WAN links, but the RAS_LINKS structure returned by GetRasLinks always has nNumberOfLinks of 0. I’m adding the following code inside the adapter loop, after it prints the adapter mode.

RAS_LINKS pLinks = new RAS_LINKS();
      GCHandle.Alloc(pLinks);
      Ndisapi.GetRasLinks(hNdisapi, AdList.m_nAdapterHandle, ref pLinks);
      Console.WriteLine("RAS_LINKS:" + pLinks.nNumberOfLinks);

The C++ example returns the proper information on links when i plug in a 3g card, but from C# it always tells me nothing is there. To get this to run, I did have to change RAS_LINKS_MAX to 32 so that the runtime would stop complaining about too large a data structure to marshal, so maybe that has something to do with it?

Vadim Smirnov
      Keymaster

When driver receives the memory block it checks if it has the correct size before filling it with data. If you shrinked the RAS_LINKS structure and passed smaller memory block to driver then it just has failed the operation. Is there a problem in C# with allocating large block of unmanaged memory?

libzhark
        Participant

Yes, when calling the line

Ndisapi.GetRasLinks(hNdisapi, AdList.m_nAdapterHandle, ref pLinks);

an exception is thrown:

System.Runtime.InteropServices.MarshalDirectiveException: Cannot marshal 'parameter #3': Internal limitation: structure is too complex or too large.

This happens when RAS_LINKS_MAX = 256. From quick googling, it appears there is a hard 64k (65535 byte) limit for marshaling a single chunk of data.

libzhark
          Participant

Ok, got it working. Need to change the declaration of GetRasLinks to:

[DllImport("ndisapi.dll")]
            public static extern bool GetRasLinks(IntPtr hOpen, IntPtr hAdapter, IntPtr pLinks);

And then you can call it via:

IntPtr data = Marshal.AllocHGlobal(Marshal.SizeOf(typeof(RAS_LINKS)));
            Ndisapi.GetRasLinks(hNdisapi, AdList.m_nAdapterHandle, data);
            RAS_LINKS RasLinks = (RAS_LINKS)Marshal.PtrToStructure(data, typeof(RAS_LINKS));
            Console.WriteLine("RAS_LINKS:" + RasLinks.nNumberOfLinks);
            Vadim Smirnov
            Keymaster

Thank you for the information. We will change declaration of GetRasLinks for the next release.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.