Driver not loading in windows xp service pack 3

Home Forums Discussions Support Driver not loading in windows xp service pack 3

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    yathindra
    Participant

I downloaded latest winpkfilter driver from your site and installed in windows xp service pack 3 system. When i run the listadapters.exe application it shows not installed message. What could be the problem. But it’s working in windows Xp service pack 2 system. What could be the problem. Please reply soon.

Thanking you.

Vadim Smirnov
      Keymaster

Which driver have you tried to install? NDIS IM or NDIS hook one (there are options for Windows XP)? Have you rebooted the system after installation?

yathindra
        Participant

I installed IM driver and i rebooted also. Still the problem exists.

Vadim Smirnov
          Keymaster

Have you had enough privilege to install the driver? Also can you try to install NDIS IM driver manually for the case if something went wrong with snetcfg utility:

Prepare a floppy disk (or installation directory) that contains these files: ndisrd.inf, ndisrd_m.inf and ndisrd.sys. On the desktop, right-click the My Network Places icon and choose Properties. Right-click on the relevant Local Area Connection icon and choose Properties. Click Install, then Service, then Add, then Have Disk. Browse to the drive/directory containing the files listed above. Click OK. This should show “WinpkFilter Driver” in a list of Network Services. Highlight this and click OK. This should install the WinpkFilter driver. Click OK or Yes each time the system prompts with a warning regarding installation of unsigned files. This is necessary because binaries generated via the DDK build environment are not signed. Two .INF files are needed rather than one because WinpkFilter is installed both as a protocol and a miniport.

This is not a usual case as WinpkFilter does not have any known issues with Windows XP SP3, most probably something has prevented driver from being installed.

yathindra
            Participant

I am able to install means i have full privilages first i try to install through snetcfg it’s having the problem. Hence i downloaded the latest one from the site and run the winpkfilter_rtl.exe and install IM driver.

i want to know where the problem exact to identify like syetem dump files through that can we identify any thing.
              then tell me how to take the dump files to solve the problem. if any other way is there please specify that.

Thanking you,

Vadim Smirnov
              Keymaster

If snetcfg fails then may be this is something wrong with system network configuration. I would recommend to try manual installation and see if it works first.

yathindra
                Participant

Thanks for your reply. How to do the manual installation. I approached 2 ways for installation one is through snetcfg and second one is direct run with winpkfilter_rtl.exe. Also as you suggested problem in system network configuration how to verify that any idea please mention.

Thanking you,

Vadim Smirnov
                  Keymaster

Manual WinpkFilter driver installation is covered by my post above. As for possible network configuration problems it is not that easy to advise as I have no idea what may have happen. Most probably there was unsuccessful instillation of the driver which has left some remnants in the system registry and does not allow to install the driver once again. You can check if the registry key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESYSTEMCurrentControlSetServicesndisrd exists on the target system.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.