Creating Rules

Home Forums Discussions Support Creating Rules

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    emerbrito
    Participant

Hi,

This is my first post in here and it’s porbably a dummy question but i got confused anyways.

I had to create a Rule like this:

– Allow traffic for all packets (in/out)
      – Protocol TCP
      – Port 21
      – IP 192.168.1.1

So, i went to “New Rule” and set the items on the “Common Tab”, after that i set the IP (192.168.1.1) and Port (21) on the “Destination tab” and left the “Source ab” with the default settings (all ip addresses)

Is that the way to set rule i described?

Thank you in advance.

Vadim Smirnov
      Keymaster

I assume that 192.168.1.1 is your local IP address? Is so the rule is just fine. However, please note that in order to allow FTP access you also need to open port 22.

emerbrito
        Participant

@SerpentFly wrote:

I assume that 192.168.1.1 is your local IP address? Is so the rule is just fine. However, please note that in order to allow FTP access you also need to open port 22.

Hi,
          Well, i used this IP on this post just because i didn’t want to post the real one 😉
          About the port 22, i did create a rule alowing outgoing trafic on this port.

But here is where i get confused:

When i’m creating a rule for only incoming trafic i use:
          – Any Source to “My IP and Port”

For only outgoing trafic i use:
          – “My IP and Port to any Destination”

But how is the right way to create a rule to alow “incoming and outgoing” trafic on a specific port? The way i did on the first post?

Thanks for your help.

Vadim Smirnov
          Keymaster

– Any Source to “My IP and Port”

This rule alows incoming connections (in case of TCP protocol) on the specified port. So it is applicable to both incoming and outgoing packets.

emerbrito
            Participant

@SerpentFly wrote:

This rule alows incoming connections (in case of TCP protocol) on the specified port. So it is applicable to both incoming and outgoing packets.

I noticed you said “in case of TCP protocol”…
              So, let me see if i got it:

If using TCP protocol, this rule will allow incoming and outgoing trafic.
              But what if i need the same kind of rule (incoming and outgoing) on the same port with UDP protocol? The rule would be the same?

Or do i need one rule to alow incoming and another to alow outgoing trafic on the same port?

Vadim Smirnov
              Keymaster

IN/OUT of firewall rule in terms of TCP protocol is treated as incoming/outgoing connections; in terms of other protocols it is incoming/outgoing packets. As you can see here is a small difference between TCP and UDP.

emerbrito
                Participant

got it, thanks for your help 8)

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.