Compiling with cygwin.

Home Forums Discussions Support Compiling with cygwin.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    abdullah
    Participant

Hi,

Is it possible to generate executables based on ndisapi framework via CYGWIN ?

I tried to compile PerfTest, by replacing C++ api calls with C api ones; then simply generating “perftest.exe” with the following command in Cygwin command shell:

$ /usr/bin/c++ perftest.cpp stdafx.cpp -o PerfTest.exe ndisapi.dll -I../ndisapi/Include

I installed “Windows Packet Filter v3.4.8” on my Windows 10 Pro environment.

When I run the application;

1. NDISRD device is opened successfully ( via OpenFilterDriver call )

2. Adapter list is obtained successfully ( via GetTcpipBoundAdaptersInfo )

3. SetPacketEvent fails. When I debug, I see that;

3.1 CNdisApi::SetPacketEvent calls “CNdisApi::DeviceIoControl”.

3.2 “CNdisApi::DeviceIoControl” calls DeviceIOControl from “ioapiset.h” which always returns “87: INVALID_PARAMETER” error.

Is there any additional configuration task to be applied in order to not experience this error ?

Visual Studio uses  “‘C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Kits\10\Include\10.0.22621.0\um\ioapiset.h'”

while cygwin uses its own w32api header: “/usr/include/w32api/ioapiset.h”

I didn’t see any difference between DeviceIoControl definitions. GetTcpipBoundAdaptersInfo calls same function without any error.

Is there a document describing how to compile and run ndisapi or ndisapi based apps ( dnstrace etc. ) on Cygwin?

Thanks.

Vadim Smirnov
      Keymaster

Is there a document describing how to compile and run ndisapi or ndisapi based apps ( dnstrace etc. ) on Cygwin?

Unfortunately, no, and I haven’t attempted that myself. However, I believe it should be feasible to build NDISAPI with Cygwin or invoke the NDISAPI.DLL C interface from a Cygwin application. Thus, I’m somewhat puzzled by your error code. Kindly verify that you’ve compiled the code against the appropriate platform, ensuring, for instance, that you’re calling a 64-bit DLL from 64-bit code.

abdullah
        Participant

I thing ndisapi.dll is 64-bit, I’m using the “../ndisapi/bin/dll/x64/Debug/ndisapi.dll” compiled in VS 2022.

Cygwin64 is installed in my Win 10 Pro 64 bit setup.

I tried the 64 bit compilers in cygwin: “/usr/bin/x86_64-pc-cygwin-c++.exe” and “/usr/bin/x86_64-pc-cygwin-g++.exe”

When I compile the modified PerfTest ( with C Api ) in VS 2022, everything is fine, I don’t get any error.

Vadim Smirnov
          Keymaster

I apologize for any earlier confusion. My advice is to start by building NDISAPI with Cygwin, which should streamline the process and address ABI compatibility issues. Although I haven’t personally built it using Cygwin, I consider it a viable option. The driver interface is well-documented, and the C++ code can be compiled using various Microsoft compilers, ranging from Visual C++ 6.0 to the latest Visual Studio 2022. Previously, I used C++ Builder for building it and it also worked just fine.

Vadim Smirnov
            Keymaster

I’ve recently added a Cygwin demonstration, providing Makefile for building the static version of the NDISAPI library as well as several basic examples. Hope it helps!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.