Vista and Promiscuous mode

Home Forums Discussions Support Vista and Promiscuous mode

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    appdriverguy
    Participant

Was trying the framework in Vista (x86). The driver appears to install fine.
      However, trying to use the packet sniffer utility shows two errors:

Failed to get current packet filter from the network interface
      Failed to set promiscuous mode for the network interface

i.e. SetHwPacketFilter and GetHwPacketFilter both fail. Therefore the utility does not function.

Will there soon be an update for Vista support?

Thanks.

appdriverguy

Vadim Smirnov
      Keymaster

I’m sorry but there are no public WinpkFilter builds with Vista x86 support available for download. The normal x86 package you could get from this site supports only Windows 9x/ME/NT/2000/XP/2003.

Windows Vista (both x86 and x64) are supported by NDIS IM build of WinpkFilter. In the meantime WinpkFilter NDIS IM used only for Windows XP/2003 x64, but it can be also compiled for x86 and used on Windows Vista x86. As soon as Vista is released for public we will add new WinpkFilter installation packages for public download (in the meantime it is available only to registered customers on special request for testing purposes).

appdriverguy
        Participant

Thanks for the quick response. Good to hear. I do have one concern. Is the IM driver liable to break in Vista whenever MS patches the OS? Will Vista support be upgraded to use the native Windows Filtering Platform or do you have a timetable when that might be rolled in? Understandably what little docs from MSFT on the subject there are online are somewhat old so unclear how much is ‘really’ in Vista.

Thanks again.

appdriverguy

Vadim Smirnov
          Keymaster

Is the IM driver liable to break in Vista whenever MS patches the OS?

As far as I know IM drivers were not declared depreciated in Vista, so probably they won’t be unexpectedly dropped in one of the forthcoming SPs.

Will Vista support be upgraded to use the native Windows Filtering Platform or do you have a timetable when that might be rolled in?

WPF is relatively new and I would refrain from using it until Vista finally released along with final new WDK. The only WPF sample from beta WDK I seen so far was not able to send requests (NdisRequest) to the underlying NDIS miniports. May be it will be fixed (or even already fixed) but in the meantime it is a serious limitation.

appdriverguy
            Participant

Will Vista support be upgraded to use the native Windows Filtering Platform or do you have a timetable when that might be rolled in?

WPF is relatively new and I would refrain from using it until Vista finally released along with final new WDK. The only WPF sample from beta WDK I seen so far was not able to send requests (NdisRequest) to the underlying NDIS miniports. May be it will be fixed (or even already fixed) but in the meantime it is a serious limitation.

So, now that Vista was released as well as it’s WDK, is the released WDK able to send requests (NdisRequest) to the underlying NDIS miniports? Reason I ask is that it would be possible then to not have to have a signed driver on x64 Vista, correct?

Please let me know the status of this.

Thanks.

appdriverguy

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.