VirtNet doesn’t appear in taskmgr

Home Forums Discussions Support VirtNet doesn’t appear in taskmgr

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Lunchbox
    Participant

I have recently began experimenting with VirtNet and I noticed that it does not show up in taskmgr. On an XP or a 2003 box. Why?

I have seen other virtual NICs, such as those supplied by VMWare, appear there so I am fairly certain it’s not a virtual NIC thing.

Thank you very much for a very useful tool.

Vadim Smirnov
      Keymaster

Drivers are not displayed in Task Manager which shows only user mode processes. You can see services associated with the virtual NIC’s (like in case with VMware), but not the drivers themselves.

Lunchbox
        Participant

Thanks for the reply. I did a horrible job clarifying, but the tab I am referring to in Task Manger is the Network Tab. The adapter actually shows up, but when I try to copy data to/from mulitple VirtNet NIC’s, there is no utilization reported. I am told that the same goes for VMWare Virtual NIC’s. Any idea why?

Thank you very much.

Vadim Smirnov
          Keymaster

Actually that depends on how you do copy data. If, an example, you have VirtNet NIC with IP address 192.168.1.101 and send ping packets on it:

ping 192.168.1.101 -t

Then actually non of the ping echo packet ever really reach the NIC, all data sent/received to/from local interfaces are processed inside TCP/IP. So no real network usage….

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.