SetWANEvent vs SetPacketEvent

Home Forums Discussions Support SetWANEvent vs SetPacketEvent

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    dipple
    Participant

I need to monitor packets on adapters connected to the local network as well as adapters connected to the internet via Dialup. Do I need to set an event for both the SetWANEvent and SetPacketEvent?

Is there anything special that I need to do in order to monitor / filter packets going through a dial up adapter versus an adapter connected to the local network?

I have things working well with adapters on the local network, I am going to now test dialup connections and noticed the SetWANEvent method.

Thank you

Vadim Smirnov
      Keymaster

The event you set into driver with SetWANEvent is signaled when the new dial-up (VPN, PPPoE and etc…) connection is established or dropped, so you could reinitialize your configuration information. It is rather similar to SetAdapterListChangeEvent than SetPacketEvent which is signaled when new packet is queued.

nat32support
        Participant

@SerpentFly wrote:

The event you set into driver with SetWANEvent is signaled when the new dial-up (VPN, PPPoE and etc…) connection is established or dropped, so you could reinitialize your configuration information. It is rather similar to SetAdapterListChangeEvent than SetPacketEvent which is signaled when new packet is queued.

I’ve noticed that the WAN event can occur _before_ the RAS_LINKS table has been fully updated. I’ve solved the problem for now by sleeping for 1000 msec before copying the table for further use in my software.

Is there any way of determining when the RAS_LINKS table is valid?

Vadim Smirnov
          Keymaster

Is there any way of determining when the RAS_LINKS table is valid?

IP Helper API has addded certian new functions since Windows Vista which allows you to register callbacks on network interfaces changes. I think you can use these functions. An example, there is a callback on routing table changes and when new network connection appears in the system the routing table is definitely changed.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.