NeT Firewall on Virtual Network Adapter

Home Forums Discussions Support NeT Firewall on Virtual Network Adapter

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    devspy
    Participant

I installed your product NeT Firewall on a Windows Server 2003 Enterprise Edition and everything goes ok. But when I restart the server (I executed this operation a few times changing server settings) I got always same message: “Installation was corrupted. Reinstall.” (something like this).

The server is an hardened web server, so it’s running a very few set of services: just as needed. May the cause of this error be due to particular services not found? Please, tell me on what system services your product depends.

Anyway since the server I access is a Virtual Server – are Virtual Network Adapter supported from your product? There are other requirements to verify?

Many thanks in advance.

Vadim Smirnov
      Keymaster

Could you please specify the exact version of the NeT Firewall you are using. There were some problems relative to MMC console initialization and shutdown, but we hope we had fixed them.

However, there is also a chance that NeT Firewall driver was not succesfully installed on your system. Did you have NeT Firewall working at all? Is it just a startup/shutdown problem or you could not managed the firewall to work at all?

NeT Firewall should be able to see and filter packets on all locally installed Ethernet, WiFi, dial-up network adapters including the virtual ones.

devspy
        Participant

I installed 2.3.1 30 days trial edition, downloaded just a few days ago from your web site.

It seems that NeT Firewall does not work at all. After setup, I restart the system as requested and when the system is up I get a small window that ask to continue configuration. Immediately after that I receive the message I metioned in first post. After that I’m asked if I wish to abort current instance. Saying YES I get an empty MMC, saying NO the program simply terminate.

What may I check to help you find the cause?

Kon
          Participant

Hi.

Does your error message is equal to “NeT Firewall is damaged. Please reinstall.”?

devspy
            Participant

Exactly that.

Kon
              Participant

Please check the following points after installation of NeT Firewall

1)You have to find ipfrwl.sys on your …system32drivers directory

2)Please check the registry key:
                HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESYSTEMCurrentControlSetServicesipfrwl

ErrorControl = 0x00000001
                Group = Stream Drivers
                Start = 0x00000001
                Type = 0x00000001

devspy
                Participant

1) ipfrwl.sys isn’t under ..system32drivers but under C:WINDOWSSyWOW64Drivers because I’m using x64 Server Edition (64 bit)

2) Registry keys are exactly as you mentioned.

Good news? ❓

Kon
                  Participant

Hi.

You have to see our release notes:) Current version of NeT Firewall doesn’t support 64-bit platforms.

devspy
                    Participant

I understand… 🙁 But it will do? If yes, when did you planned?

Thank you, anyway

Kon
                      Participant

Hi.

Thank you for choosing our NeT Firewall product.

I am going to build 64-bit version in April. But I guess to work on your Server you need only 64-bit version of file ipfrwl.sys.

May be we can build custom version for you.

devspy
                        Participant

Please, let me know about custom version. I searched the web a lot but it seems that we have to wait for long time to find a 64 bit version of a software firewall… 😯

Maybe I can help you develop and test directly on my production environment. What do you think about?

Vadim Smirnov
                          Keymaster

Hmm, since we already have the 64 bit version of WinpkFilter then making a 64 bit firewall is not a great problem. However, so far we are not sure that there is enough user interest in this solution. We will discuss internally the possibility of making this a priority task.

devspy
                            Participant

Thank you. I’ll wait for your reply.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
                            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.