Reply To: Physical Address

Home Forums Discussions Support Physical Address Reply To: Physical Address

Vadim Smirnov
Keymaster

I can miss something because it passed pretty much time since my last research of this subject.

3E-1C-20-52-41-53 – this is what DeviceNDISWANIP returns for OID_802_3_CURRENT_ADDRESS request. NDISWAN generates first three bytes as a function of time during initialization stage; last three bytes are hexing codes for the word “RAS”. Note that you never see this MAC address in the packets, there are pairs of MACs used for each WAN connection, if I remember fine first three bytes will remain and last three bytes generated from the connection number.

Btw, mapping IP address to WAN interface is not easy task because it may have multiply IP addresses, each one associated with WAN connection (note that on Windows NT/2000/XP you may have multiply WAN connections). WinpkFilter driver can track information about each established WAN connection including its IP address (actually NT/2000/XP version has some relative code for this). Doing the same for Windows 9x/ME requires hooking one of device VIP VxD services, but luckily only one active WAN connection is possible. So if you own WinpkFilter Source Code license then you can customize the helper driver for your needs. In user-mode you can query required information using RAS API and IP Helper API.